Khichdi ( veggie lentil and rice stew) is a traditional healthy Indian food which is a unique blend of protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals that is easy to digest. It is traditionally the first meal given to a new mother after she gives birth.
I shared this recipe with multiple new moms and friends, who called it a pot of gold.
- Serves 3-4
- Cooking time 35 min (almost all is hands off)
- Cleaning time 5 min
- ½ cup rice (brown or white)
- ½ cup yellow or green lentils (moong dal, available in Indian stores)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter, available in Indian stores) or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Optional — and really nice for a hearty touch: ½ cup chopped frozen or dry or fresh veggies such as tomato, spinach, carrots, peas.
KHICHDI INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTANT POT
- Wash the rice and Moong Dal in a large bowl or pot.
- Turn on “Saute” mode on instant pot
- Add 2 teaspoon of ghee or olive oil
- When ghee is melted, add turmeric, cumin and veggie mix and saute for 30-40 secs
- Add 4 cups of water
- Add salt
- Turn instant pot setting to pressure cooker
- Put on and close the lid
- Set the pressure cook time for 25 min
- After 25 min are done, wait for 10 min for steam to release. Serve hot. It’s best with a teaspoon of ghee on top and alongside a scoop of plain yogurt.
To reheat, add a splash of water and boil it for 5 min